YouGov : Go- Jek phenomenon that Start Annoys Local Ojek
In response of local ojek resistance against Go-Jek, YouGov interviewed a total of 4,785 its panelist (52% male vs. 48% female) across Indonesia regarding their view over the recent incidence.
Generally, 82% of respondents are rallying behind Go-Jek compared to local ojek. Of four cities where Go-Jek are available (Jabodetabek, Surabaya, Bandung, and Makassar) responses are much higher compared to cities where Go-Jek are not available. No significant differences among different demographics are evident.
Interestingly, for those cities where Go-Jek are not available, 68% respondents wish that Go-Jek soon to be servicing their town. Whilst 32% respondent are indifferent toward its presence.
Overall, for those who support Go-Jek top 5 reasons are:
- Can pick up in specified location, no need to go out to find an ojek (74%)
- Fixed price / no need to bargain (70%)
- Takes my health and road safety into consideration that the driver, vehicle, and helmet passed certain standard (57%)
- Available in my usually frequented area (45%)
- Service including a free masker and hair cover (more hygienic) (44%).
Whilst those who supported local ojek top 5 reasons are:
- The price is negotiable (41%)
- Preserving a local community business as not to be taken over by companies (39%)
- Can be more flexible (change destination, waiting, etc.) (36%)
- No need to wait for Go-Jek driver to response, can go out to look for a local ojek at moment’s notice (39%)
- Feeling sorry for local ojek who feels that their passengers have switched to using Go-Jek (35%).